Private Health Insurance reforms
The Australian Government has introduced reforms that will make private health insurance simpler for Healthscope Hospitals patients and will help people choose the cover that best suits their needs.
Most of these reforms commenced on 1 April 2019.
The reforms include the following:
- Private hospital cover will be classified in 4 easy to understand tiers — Gold, Silver, Bronze or Basic
- Health insurers will be able to offer:
- discounts for young people aged between 18 and 29
- higher excesses in exchange for lower premiums
- travel and accommodation benefits for people who have to travel long distances for hospital treatment
- improved access to mental health treatment by allowing people to upgrade their hospital cover without re-serving a waiting period
If you already have private health insurance, your insurer will send specific information about your policy.
Read an overview of the new reforms.
Find out more about the reforms.
More information at www.privatehealth.gov.au